17", 17.5" 18" Fairfax Spencer Monoflap Dressage Saddle
Fairfax Spencer Monoflap Dressage Saddle
Olympic medallist Spencer Wilton has been working with Fairfax for more than two years to refine and perfect this model that is stamped with his personal touch. It features a new tree design that offers a roomier seat, plus a unique concealed, moveable knee block.
The Spencer Monoflap benefits from all the features common to every saddle in the Performance range (see design details below), plus the following performance-enhancing details:
- The seat is more ‘forward’ in order to precisely align the rider more ‘in’ over the horse’s centre of balance.
- A unique knee block is hidden in the monoflap design. The position can be adjusted to give the rider incredible flexibility of support. (See Concealed Block below).
- The 17½" and 18" saddles come with a choice of two block sizes. This choice, combined with the adjustable position, gives the rider even more flexible support options. (See Concealed Block below).
- The seat is wider and more ‘open’ than the Gareth model. This will suit riders who prefer more room in the seat, or those who like a more relaxed dressage position.
- The design and placement of the billets gives the saddle fitter two adjustment options to fine-tune the fit to the horse’s shape and movement.
- Contrast stitching on the flaps and skirt.
This saddle was designed and tested using pressure mapping and gait analysis.
|Seat Sizes||17", 17½", 18"|
|Changeable Gullet||N/M to XW/XXW|
|Gullet Bar Type||R-Bar|
Patent: GB2515079. The weight-bearing part of the panel under the rider’s seat is separated from the part under the rider’s knee which lies over the horse’s shoulder, allowing the shoulder independence of movement. Scientific testing shows that this affords the horse improved limb extension, joint flexion and gait symmetry.
Changeable Gullet Bars
Seven changeable gullet bar width options, in half width fitting increments, allow the selection of the exact width for the horse's profile. The saddle fitter can choose between seven width fittings to best suit the profile of the horse’s withers. The gullet bars can be changed quickly and easily as the horse develops or changes shape after time off.
The wool panels are lined with a layer of Prolite® for proven pressure distribution, while still allowing for traditional re-flocking on site.
British Wool Flocking
British wool provides superior softness and comfort for the horse. Each saddle has two flocking slots which make it easy for your saddle fitter to make quick fitting adjustments on site.
Handmade in England
All our saddles are handmade in Walsall by highly skilled Master Saddlers.
The unique design of our dressage saddles’ girth straps allows a saddle fitter to fine-tune the fit to a horse’s shape and movement.
- This is the starting position when fitting a Fairfax dressage saddle and the first option to use when first trying the saddle on a horse.
- Use this girthing option if the saddle slips forward when the horse moves.
- DO NOT girth using the front two straps together. It will cause saddle instability.
This unique monoflap comes with a knee roll that can positioned according to the rider’s preference - adjust it up, down, away from the leg or towards the leg to provide tailor-made support. When the block is in place, it is concealed under the flap.
The 17 1/2” and 18” saddles come with a choice of sizes (short and long). This gives even more support options and greater flexibility for the rider’s leg.
Care & Use
Apply the Rapide Leathergel supplied with this saddle before first use. Re-apply Leathergel at least once a week to dry leather. Never use wet tack.
- Do NOT use spray soap, glycerine saddle soap or neatsfoot oil on this saddle.
- Always allow leather to dry naturally (do not use external heat sources).
- Check regularly that all four gullet bolts and two panel screws remain tight.
"We are delighted to be able to contribute to the sport and be involved with competitors, who can truly benefit from the performance gains provided by our girths and saddles" Vanessa Fairfax from Fairfax.
The Prix St Georges Championship is the largest class at the national dressage championships with 36-40 starters and dominates the first day of these championships in the main arena in front of the grandstands.
Prior to the championships there are approx 230 qualifiers across the country including all the high profile premier league shows between December - June. These are followed by the 7 regional championships where places at the final are competed for. At BD we have seen a steady increase in the numbers competing at PSG and with correctly trained horses this level is now more accessible than ever to the serious amateur as well as the professional ride